Complaint from Hyde student wanting to withdraw

From Fornits

Hello, I am new to this board. I found this board after I realized Hyde(Woodstock) was not working for me, -- I AM a current student on their Woodstock campus. I also realize how risky it may be for me to come on this board, but I know my mom is going to struggle withdrawing me, and Hyde's manipulative ways. I can here a mere 4 weeks ago and already feel manipulated and lied to. When I came for a tour they seem to have put on a false front and this school is nothing what it seems. I was told this was a school for kids "who struggled, but were striving to get better" and trying move on in their life. I lost my father in February (14) of this year to cancer, and I struggled from there at home. I used to be a straight A student, but the sudden death of my father rocked my boat a little too hard and I lost my groove. I was struggling with simple tasks, and my mom thought a change of scenery would do me some good. She researched school, and was easily attracted to Hyde's PR ploy of "character education."

So I interviewed at what seemed to be a nice school with some friendly kids to find this school is full of ex-addicts, ex-drug users, and criminal offenders; who were forced here by their parents. Not what I signed up for, only to find they return back to their habits when they go home for break and the summer, (shows how effective this programs is I guess.) I proceeded to withdraw from the community simply because I don't want to be involved with these people. The staff jumped right on that and told me "I was socially unable to interact with my peers because I grew up in a world of adults, and had to grow down a little to interact with them" and furthermore the classes move so slow here I have no learned a single thing. In my AP English class, I am doing things I have done when I was a freshman, and reading a book that is clearly not a college level text. In math we easily spend a week or more on a single section.

I seem to be the only student that realizes Hyde's grading system is a bunch of shit, and that I have blown my chances at a good school if I stay here. In life your not going to get 5 tries to make something perfect, and I think that definitely downgrades the real quality of receiving an "A" on something "Brother's Keeper" is a way of taddle tailing o kids you don't like, and then the war continues from there on out. I felt highly violated during my first family weekend, and felt the HAPA parents was highly intrusive into my personal business, and passed judgments quickly on everyone in the room. I have no idea what gives an untrained person the "leadership skills" to run basically a group therapy session.

Against doctor's order they are making me tell my life's story here after such a short time, so "people can get to know me". Bullshit. I don't want to know anyone here, and I think this environment is becoming highly toxic. They have brainwashed people into thinking confrontation is the only solution to every problem. The kids are really mean, and I honestly feel like I have gotten dumber just from my little time here.

My mom and I have mutually agreed that it is in the best interest of our relationship and my sanity to withdraw from Hyde. I know for a fact they will try to guilt-trip us into thinking that by leaving we are "running away from our problems" but I think this place is proving to a major problem, regardless. A lot of kids here are emotionally unstable, and I don't think having a know it all teacher and some "character education" is really going to fix their problems. "Character education" is really an idea of long ago that doesn't apply to teenagers of today.

I think the staff is highly hypocritical, and the fact some of them are "lifers" at Hyde with their own fair share of problems is not a good idea, or mix with some highly troubled students.

I'm sorry but I don't believe anything they tell me, but am just playing along until I can leave.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Slap May Be Just What Child Needs" in Courage to Grow by Hyde School founder Joe Gauld

"Are Blacks and Whites Really Equal?" aka "The Black 'I.Q.'" in Courage to Grow by Hyde founder Joe Gauld. Warning: Racism

Report Hyde School - Instructions